Sunday, April 12, 2009
Reaction to Love
I really enjoyed the novel Love. Although it was hard for me to understand at the beginning the more I got into it the more it made sense to me. I thought it was really interesting how all of the main characters were women who were fighting over the same man's affection. The women treated each other differently based on their class and their age. For instance Heed and Junior related through the poverty they both endured during their childhood. More privileged characters looked down upon the poorer due to their lack of education and their uncivilized upbringings. They also treated each other differently based on age. Heed was seen as the bitter old woman. Junior was the promiscuous youngster. While May seemed to be unhappy and stuck in a mid-life rut. They all had one thing in common, they were selfish. They had lost sight of what they truly desired and turned against each other when they should have worked together. Their stubbornness caused them to fight and their desire changed from winning a man's affection to winning his money. In the end they figured out that they should have united but it was already too late. It is easy to get caught up in hatred and forget what you had originally desired in the first place.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree that the novel was a difficult read at times because there were so many relationships that were intertwined.
ReplyDeleteI like that you mention at the very end how "it is easy to get caught up in hatred & forget what you had originally desired in the first place." That happens so much & is the biggest reason why most relationships don't last.
I am glad that someone enjoyed the book. I just could not get into it. I tend to gravitate to more uplifting themes and this one just did not cut it. I would have to agree with your thoughts on how the bottom line was that each of the characters were very selfish.....Mr. Cosey, first and foremost!
ReplyDelete